Skip to main content

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green


You knew it was coming.  How could I not share?  EVERYONE MUST READ JOHN GREEN’S LATEST WORK OF ART: THE FAULT IN OUR STARS. 

Throughout my life (well, at least from 4th grade, when I was introduced to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl until now, the 7th month of my 34th year of noticing the universe) the name ‘Augustus’ immediately evoked an image of a chubby, stubborn, chocolate-loving boy, doted upon by his mother, with the last name of Gloop.  The name ‘Augustus’ made me giggle about this character’s gluttonous follies inside the chocolate factory.

Until reading John Green’s beloved new book The Fault in Our Stars.

From now on, the name ‘Augustus’ will forever evoke an entirely different image and an entirely different set of emotions.  A casually hot, lean, limping ‘Augustus Waters’ has forever replaced the ‘Augustus’ of the book I treasured as a child—an unlit cigarette held loosely between his lips.  A longing sigh will escape my lips every time he crosses my mind.

There is little else to say about such an incredible book that hasn’t already been said (by the likes of Judy Blume and Markus Zusak, no less—to name a couple of the humblingly brilliant people who are as in love with John Green’s work as the rest of us). 

This book has left me forever changed.  Augustus and Hazel are now part of my world.  Part of my bookprint.  If you haven’t already invited them into your world, what are you waiting for?

Comments

  1. John Green is on my list of authors to explore more. Thanks for telling about the latest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVED THIS BOOK!!!! It was so beautifully written. I kept track of lines I loved and finally quit writing them down. I just plain loved the whole thing. This was one of those books where I couldn't decide if I wanted to read it fast, all in one sitting because I couldn't wait to find out what Augustus and Hazel were doing or if I should read slow and savor it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hearing nothing but wonderful things about this one. I think I need to block out an afternoon and just dive in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read this one. Debating ... the Nerdfighters tour is coming close enough that I possibly could make it. His Fitness for Nerds video might still be my favorite thing he's ever done. He'd probably prefer I choose one of his books, though. ;]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another one for my ever expanding must-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just ordered this...thank you for the recommendation! And what a great idea to use a blog to keep recommending books to your former students. I imagine you will make/keep some lifelong friends... a.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book seems to be everywhere - I am going to have to check it out. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And... TBR pile: GO! Thanks for the lovely post. I look forward to checking it out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ONE FOR THE MURPHYS by Lynda Mullaly Hunt

copyright date: May 2012 primarily marketed for: intermediate readers (5 th grade and up) I sort of expected One for the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly Hunt to be one of those overly sappy books with unrealistic, sickeningly sweet characters.  However, although the storyline might make it sound sappy, the characters are realistic and dynamic.  After a traumatic incident that lands both she and her mother in the hospital, Carley Connors is taken away and placed in foster care with the Murphy family.  The only life Carley has known is one of put-downs, food scraps, and shopping for clothes in Salvation Army drop boxes.  Until she meets the Murphys.  The Murphys are too good to be true: Julia, the mom, happily makes home-cooked meals for her three boys and firefighting, sports-loving husband.  In fact, Julia isn’t even rattled by Carley’s rough around the edges attitude.  At first, Carley despises the Murphys and the way they make he...

THE LITTLE PRINCE by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

copyright date: 1943 primarily marketed for: everyone The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint- Exupéry was a reread for me.   I read this book for the first time when I was in high school.   All I remembered about it was that I expected it to be too complex for me to understand, and I was surprised when at its charming simplicity.   I always remember feeling like I had a special place in my heart for The Little Prince , but I didn’t remember exactly why. It was written so long ago and is translated from French that it is no wonder I first expected to find its meaning elusive.   However, I am sure that if you pick up this book, it will nestle itself into a special place in your heart as well. Simply, The Little Prince is the story of a clever man who has never lost the child inside of himself and finds himself stranded in the desert after a plan crash.   In the desert, he happens upon the little prince who is traveling to earth from his d...

BENEATH A METH MOON by Jacqueline Woodson

copyright date: 2012 primarily marketed for: young adult readers Sometimes being a teacher has perks—not just the heartwarming, fulfilling in a my-life-is-worthwhile-and-I-love-what-I-do kind of way—but actual, honest-to-goodness tangible material perks.   Like this book.   When I went to the National Council of Teachers of English conference in November, I was given a FREE copy of Beneath a Meth Moon , which I was able to have signed by Jacqueline Woodson .   This book doesn’t even come out until next month.   How cool is that? I believe Woodson is cool incarnate—if cool was a person walking this earth, cool would be Jacqueline Woodson (or poet Nikki Giovanni, just saying).   She just has a way with words that is smooth and fluid.   Although Beneath a Meth Moon is not written in verse, it is grounded in the language of Woodson’s poetic soul.   It is not just the language that drew me to this story, though.   I was also drawn to th...