Skip to main content

FORGOTTEN by Cat Patrick


copyright date: June 2011
primarily marketed for: young adults (12 and up)

Imagine waking up every day without a memory of the previous day.  Imagine relying on notes you write to yourself to keep track of the life you are living.  Imagine being able to remember the future, but not the past. 

Imagine you are London Lane in Cat Patrick's Forgotten.

Every night when London Lane goes to sleep, her memory of the day is wiped clear.  Because she is able to remember the future, she has a loyal best friend Jamie (which she knows without a doubt because they are still friends in her memories of the future).  However, Jamie’s current choices are having a negative impact on her future and London begins to test whether or not she can make an impact on or even completely change future events. 

When she meets an attractive new student named Luke, she is unable to remember him from day to day since he is not in her future memories.  Despite her lack of a future with him, London pursues a relationship based on elaborate notes. 

Haunted by a future memory of a funeral, London enlists Luke’s help to uncover the missing details in her life. 

Amongst the tension in the plot, there are lots of charming moments, like every time London sees Luke in person, she is newly surprised by how hot he is (even more incredible than her notes said he was or that photograph just doesn’t do him justice). 

Ultimately, London discovers the answers she is looking for through a thoroughly satisfying (if slightly implausible, but forgivably implausible) series of events.

Comments

  1. When I got this book in the mail (after squealing and showing it to everyone) I sat down and read it immediately. I read until I couldn't stay up any longer and fell asleep. Then when I woke up I picked it back up and read it until I finished it. I have been wanting this book so badly since I first heard about it. It's a little bit of everything I love, drama, psychological, and mystery...It's the sort of book that is confusing and mind-blowing all in one swoop. Think Memento meets 50 First Dates with a splash of the future.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ONE FOR THE MURPHYS by Lynda Mullaly Hunt

copyright date: May 2012 primarily marketed for: intermediate readers (5 th grade and up) I sort of expected One for the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly Hunt to be one of those overly sappy books with unrealistic, sickeningly sweet characters.  However, although the storyline might make it sound sappy, the characters are realistic and dynamic.  After a traumatic incident that lands both she and her mother in the hospital, Carley Connors is taken away and placed in foster care with the Murphy family.  The only life Carley has known is one of put-downs, food scraps, and shopping for clothes in Salvation Army drop boxes.  Until she meets the Murphys.  The Murphys are too good to be true: Julia, the mom, happily makes home-cooked meals for her three boys and firefighting, sports-loving husband.  In fact, Julia isn’t even rattled by Carley’s rough around the edges attitude.  At first, Carley despises the Murphys and the way they make he...

THE LITTLE PRINCE by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

copyright date: 1943 primarily marketed for: everyone The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint- Exupéry was a reread for me.   I read this book for the first time when I was in high school.   All I remembered about it was that I expected it to be too complex for me to understand, and I was surprised when at its charming simplicity.   I always remember feeling like I had a special place in my heart for The Little Prince , but I didn’t remember exactly why. It was written so long ago and is translated from French that it is no wonder I first expected to find its meaning elusive.   However, I am sure that if you pick up this book, it will nestle itself into a special place in your heart as well. Simply, The Little Prince is the story of a clever man who has never lost the child inside of himself and finds himself stranded in the desert after a plan crash.   In the desert, he happens upon the little prince who is traveling to earth from his d...

BENEATH A METH MOON by Jacqueline Woodson

copyright date: 2012 primarily marketed for: young adult readers Sometimes being a teacher has perks—not just the heartwarming, fulfilling in a my-life-is-worthwhile-and-I-love-what-I-do kind of way—but actual, honest-to-goodness tangible material perks.   Like this book.   When I went to the National Council of Teachers of English conference in November, I was given a FREE copy of Beneath a Meth Moon , which I was able to have signed by Jacqueline Woodson .   This book doesn’t even come out until next month.   How cool is that? I believe Woodson is cool incarnate—if cool was a person walking this earth, cool would be Jacqueline Woodson (or poet Nikki Giovanni, just saying).   She just has a way with words that is smooth and fluid.   Although Beneath a Meth Moon is not written in verse, it is grounded in the language of Woodson’s poetic soul.   It is not just the language that drew me to this story, though.   I was also drawn to th...