Skip to main content

AN ELEPHANT IN THE GARDEN by Michael Morpurgo


copyright date: June 2011
primarily marketed for: intermediate readers (5th grade and up)

Three things I cannot get enough of are:
1.     books that take place during WWII (there is so much to know about this important time in our history that these stories never get old)
2.     books told from multiple viewpoints (I love the layers of story this reveals)
AND
3.     books about elephants (I am in love with these emotional creatures)

An Elephant in the Garden by Michael Morpurgo (author of War Horse) satisfies my craving for all three kinds of books. 

The story is initially told from the point of view of a nurse whose son comes with her to work at an assisted living facility.  Her son, Karl, bounds into the room of one of her most challenging patients.  Upon meeting Karl, the patient begins talking about an elephant that lived in her garden when she was a young girl.  The nurse dismisses her talk as the nonsensical words of fading mind.  However, Karl takes her words to heart.

Later that evening, he convinces his mother that perhaps there is truth in the patient’s words, and she begins to doubt her own skepticism.  So, the next day, when her son once again bounds into the room and the patient begins her story, the nurse and Karl both hang on her every word. 

And so did I.  And so will you, reader! 

Although her story is largely a fictional story that Morpurgo created, in the author’s note he explains the many truths on which it is based. 

During World War II, zoo animals were ordered to be destroyed in the case that bombing began to prevent the destruction that wild animals on the loose might cause when their cages were destroyed by bombs.  In a case like this (although in other setting completely), there is a story of a baby elephant that was taken home and cared for by a zookeeper.  Morpurgo put these ideas together with the story of another woman’s journey from Dresden during WWII and spun the story of An Elephant in the Garden. 

Although the animal plays an important role in the story, I think this is really a story about war and the effect it has on humans and human relationships.  It is beautifully told.  Although it is written for younger readers, there is a lot of depth to be found amongst the lines of this story. 

If you enjoy war stories, you are interested in reading about World War II, you like books with elephants, you appreciate books written from multiple perspectives, or you are human, you are sure to love this book!

Reading Threads:

Comments

  1. I've read this, Christy, & loved it. I've seen that others thought it was a little unrealistic, but still I liked the story it told. Thanks for bringing it back up again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks wonderful! I'll have to pick up a copy. : )

    Speaking of WWII, did you find my "drop" on your front porch?

    j

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE LITTLE PRINCE by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

copyright date: 1943 primarily marketed for: everyone The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint- Exupéry was a reread for me.   I read this book for the first time when I was in high school.   All I remembered about it was that I expected it to be too complex for me to understand, and I was surprised when at its charming simplicity.   I always remember feeling like I had a special place in my heart for The Little Prince , but I didn’t remember exactly why. It was written so long ago and is translated from French that it is no wonder I first expected to find its meaning elusive.   However, I am sure that if you pick up this book, it will nestle itself into a special place in your heart as well. Simply, The Little Prince is the story of a clever man who has never lost the child inside of himself and finds himself stranded in the desert after a plan crash.   In the desert, he happens upon the little prince who is traveling to earth from his d...

ONE FOR THE MURPHYS by Lynda Mullaly Hunt

copyright date: May 2012 primarily marketed for: intermediate readers (5 th grade and up) I sort of expected One for the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly Hunt to be one of those overly sappy books with unrealistic, sickeningly sweet characters.  However, although the storyline might make it sound sappy, the characters are realistic and dynamic.  After a traumatic incident that lands both she and her mother in the hospital, Carley Connors is taken away and placed in foster care with the Murphy family.  The only life Carley has known is one of put-downs, food scraps, and shopping for clothes in Salvation Army drop boxes.  Until she meets the Murphys.  The Murphys are too good to be true: Julia, the mom, happily makes home-cooked meals for her three boys and firefighting, sports-loving husband.  In fact, Julia isn’t even rattled by Carley’s rough around the edges attitude.  At first, Carley despises the Murphys and the way they make he...

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green

You knew it was coming.  How could I not share?  EVERYONE MUST READ JOHN GREEN’S LATEST WORK OF ART: THE FAULT IN OUR STARS .  Throughout my life (well, at least from 4 th grade, when I was introduced to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl until now, the 7 th month of my 34 th year of noticing the universe) the name ‘Augustus’ immediately evoked an image of a chubby, stubborn, chocolate-loving boy, doted upon by his mother, with the last name of Gloop.  The name ‘Augustus’ made me giggle about this character’s gluttonous follies inside the chocolate factory. Until reading John Green’s beloved new book The Fault in Our Stars . From now on, the name ‘Augustus’ will forever evoke an entirely different image and an entirely different set of emotions.  A casually hot, lean, limping ‘Augustus Waters’ has forever replaced the ‘Augustus’ of the book I treasured as a child—an unlit cigarette held loosely between his lips.  A longing sigh ...