Skip to main content

TAKE WHAT YOU CAN CARRY by Kevin C. Pyle


copyright date: March 2012
primarily marketed for: young adults (12 and up)

Despite the fact that the teacher in me sees so many lesson possibilities in Kevin C. Pyle’s graphic novel Take What You Can Carry, you should read it simply for the grace of its stories. 

The artwork is as striking as the stories it tells.  Using artwork in two different colors and styles, Pyle tells the stories of two teenage boys living years and miles apart.  And yet, he communicates the universality in their experiences. 

One boy is a Japanese American forced to move into an internment camp during WWII.  His family struggles to maintain their dignity and sense of peace under unbearable conditions.

The other is a rebellious boy with an attitude whose reckless behavior causes him to wind up in trouble with the law.  To make amends, he finds himself completing community service hours in the most unlikely place. 

I found myself reading and rereading pieces of these stories.  I am finding with graphic novels that there is always more beyond the surface story.  I wanted uncover the truth in the tales of these two boys.  Although there are two stories here, they really become one if you dig deep enough.

Take What You Can Carry tells a story I want to carry with me for a long time. 

Reading Threads:
Wonder Struck by Brian Selznick
Handbook for Boys by Walter Dean Myers
Notes from the Midnight Driver by Jordan Sonnenblick
Thin Wood Walls by David Patneaude
Farewell to Manzanar by Jeanne Wakatsuki

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE LITTLE PRINCE by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

copyright date: 1943 primarily marketed for: everyone The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint- Exupéry was a reread for me.   I read this book for the first time when I was in high school.   All I remembered about it was that I expected it to be too complex for me to understand, and I was surprised when at its charming simplicity.   I always remember feeling like I had a special place in my heart for The Little Prince , but I didn’t remember exactly why. It was written so long ago and is translated from French that it is no wonder I first expected to find its meaning elusive.   However, I am sure that if you pick up this book, it will nestle itself into a special place in your heart as well. Simply, The Little Prince is the story of a clever man who has never lost the child inside of himself and finds himself stranded in the desert after a plan crash.   In the desert, he happens upon the little prince who is traveling to earth from his d...

ONE FOR THE MURPHYS by Lynda Mullaly Hunt

copyright date: May 2012 primarily marketed for: intermediate readers (5 th grade and up) I sort of expected One for the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly Hunt to be one of those overly sappy books with unrealistic, sickeningly sweet characters.  However, although the storyline might make it sound sappy, the characters are realistic and dynamic.  After a traumatic incident that lands both she and her mother in the hospital, Carley Connors is taken away and placed in foster care with the Murphy family.  The only life Carley has known is one of put-downs, food scraps, and shopping for clothes in Salvation Army drop boxes.  Until she meets the Murphys.  The Murphys are too good to be true: Julia, the mom, happily makes home-cooked meals for her three boys and firefighting, sports-loving husband.  In fact, Julia isn’t even rattled by Carley’s rough around the edges attitude.  At first, Carley despises the Murphys and the way they make he...

THE STATISTICAL PROBABILITY OF LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT by Jennifer E. Smith

copyright date: January 2012 primarily marketed for: young adults (12 and up) After reading a few heavy books, I picked up The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith from my shelf of to-be-read books expecting a light, fluffy romance.   I should know better by now.   I wouldn’t have purchased it if it were just a light, fluffy romance.   Of course I was completely sucked in by the premise that everything happens for a reason, even if the reason is not apparent at first.   Hadley is on her way to London for her father’s wedding—the beginning of a marriage to a woman Hadley has never met because why would she want to meet the source of the affair that broke her family apart?   Anyway, she misses her flight because of a series of choices and mishaps.   Now, having changed her path to London, Hadley encounters a guy.   An attractive guy.   A charming guy.   A guy who insists...