Skip to main content

BUNHEADS by Sophie Flack




copyright: 2011
primarily marketed for: young adults (high school)

If you know me, you know I am a HUGE fan of So You Think You Can Dance.  Dance is an art form I have a deep appreciation for—an art form where I am much better left to be an audience member than a participant! 

So, it is no surprise that I fell in love with Bunheads by Sophie Flack, which my friend Ruth recommended to me. 

Bunheads is the story of Hannah, a ballet dancer with the Manhattan Ballet company.  To be a ballet dancer, Hannah has had to give up normal high school and college life to dedicate herself completely to dance.  Her dance world is easy to be envious of, and Hannah couldn’t be happier than she is when she is dancing on stage. 

Given that the author was a ballet dancer herself, the story has an authenticity to it that would be nearly impossible for a non-dancer to duplicate.  As a reader you are entirely immersed in the vocabulary of Hannah’s dance world along with the rigorous schedule and complicated relationships amongst dancers. 

This is definitely a story driven by character, not plot.  When Hannah meets Jacob, she begins to realize that maybe there are things outside of her world of ballet that she might be just as passionate about.  At the same time, the dance company is becoming more and more competitive and men within the world of dance are beginning to notice her as well. 

Reading Bunheads is a journey into the head and heart of a dedicated ballet dancer discovering who she is and who she wants to be.  And I enjoyed every moment of that journey.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the review; I read Ruth's too, so with both of you saying, I think I'd better find & read it. I have a former student who would love it. who dances for the Colorado Junior Ballet now & spent time with the National Ballet company's junior program last summer. The dedication to her life as a dancer when I had her for 6th through 8th grade was amazing. It is her life! Nice to hear about again, Christy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE So You Think You Can Dance too. My daughter and I watch and debate it religiously. My favorite season was Season 4 with Katee, Joshua, Mark, Chelsea, and Twitch. They had such a great group of dancers that season. Talent and personality.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ONE FOR THE MURPHYS by Lynda Mullaly Hunt

copyright date: May 2012 primarily marketed for: intermediate readers (5 th grade and up) I sort of expected One for the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly Hunt to be one of those overly sappy books with unrealistic, sickeningly sweet characters.  However, although the storyline might make it sound sappy, the characters are realistic and dynamic.  After a traumatic incident that lands both she and her mother in the hospital, Carley Connors is taken away and placed in foster care with the Murphy family.  The only life Carley has known is one of put-downs, food scraps, and shopping for clothes in Salvation Army drop boxes.  Until she meets the Murphys.  The Murphys are too good to be true: Julia, the mom, happily makes home-cooked meals for her three boys and firefighting, sports-loving husband.  In fact, Julia isn’t even rattled by Carley’s rough around the edges attitude.  At first, Carley despises the Murphys and the way they make he...

THE LITTLE PRINCE by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

copyright date: 1943 primarily marketed for: everyone The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint- Exupéry was a reread for me.   I read this book for the first time when I was in high school.   All I remembered about it was that I expected it to be too complex for me to understand, and I was surprised when at its charming simplicity.   I always remember feeling like I had a special place in my heart for The Little Prince , but I didn’t remember exactly why. It was written so long ago and is translated from French that it is no wonder I first expected to find its meaning elusive.   However, I am sure that if you pick up this book, it will nestle itself into a special place in your heart as well. Simply, The Little Prince is the story of a clever man who has never lost the child inside of himself and finds himself stranded in the desert after a plan crash.   In the desert, he happens upon the little prince who is traveling to earth from his d...

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green

You knew it was coming.  How could I not share?  EVERYONE MUST READ JOHN GREEN’S LATEST WORK OF ART: THE FAULT IN OUR STARS .  Throughout my life (well, at least from 4 th grade, when I was introduced to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl until now, the 7 th month of my 34 th year of noticing the universe) the name ‘Augustus’ immediately evoked an image of a chubby, stubborn, chocolate-loving boy, doted upon by his mother, with the last name of Gloop.  The name ‘Augustus’ made me giggle about this character’s gluttonous follies inside the chocolate factory. Until reading John Green’s beloved new book The Fault in Our Stars . From now on, the name ‘Augustus’ will forever evoke an entirely different image and an entirely different set of emotions.  A casually hot, lean, limping ‘Augustus Waters’ has forever replaced the ‘Augustus’ of the book I treasured as a child—an unlit cigarette held loosely between his lips.  A longing sigh ...