Skip to main content

CROSSING STONES by Helen Frost


copyright date: 2009
primarily marketed for: middle school and up

Helen Frost is one of my favorite authors.  I have adored every book I’ve read by her.  In fact, the copies of some of her books in our school library have disappeared because I am apparently not the only one who appreciates her work.  Her stories, told in poetic verse, are always moving and then I am always amazed to discover there is a specific format she follows when writing the poetry for each book.  You might remember her book Diamond Willow, which was a recent Caudill nominee. 

Crossing Stones is the story of four teenagers during World War I (two sets of brothers and sisters who are neighbors).  The boys, Frank and Ollie, end up going off to fight in the war, while the girls, Muriel and Emma, each face their own struggles at home. 

The voices of all four characters are threaded throughout the book with grace.  The poetry alternates viewpoints and includes letters written from the battlefront.  You know I love a good war book, especially one like this that contains a little romance and a little girl power, to boot! 

Muriel is torn between her feelings for Frank and her desire to remain independent and follow her own dreams by joining in the movement for women’s suffrage.  I can’t remember reading another story that gave me so much insight into the fight for women’s right to vote.  I didn’t realize how brutal it was, but it makes sense.  I am sure what is covered in this story is only a small snapshot of the truth.

The shape of the poetry echoes the characters’ intentions and lives.  It is a beautiful story, beautifully told. 

Comments

  1. Do you know why I love your new blog? Because you are introducing me to so many new authors and books. I have not heard of Helen Frost, but I will sure be looking her up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm like Deb, the wish list of new ideas for books is piling up! I think you told me about Frost before, and I loved Keesha's House, so will undoubtedly love this too. I've had several students students women's history through my time in the classroom & that particular time for women was brutal. We have a lot to thank them for! Thanks for the sharing again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE LITTLE PRINCE by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

copyright date: 1943 primarily marketed for: everyone The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint- Exupéry was a reread for me.   I read this book for the first time when I was in high school.   All I remembered about it was that I expected it to be too complex for me to understand, and I was surprised when at its charming simplicity.   I always remember feeling like I had a special place in my heart for The Little Prince , but I didn’t remember exactly why. It was written so long ago and is translated from French that it is no wonder I first expected to find its meaning elusive.   However, I am sure that if you pick up this book, it will nestle itself into a special place in your heart as well. Simply, The Little Prince is the story of a clever man who has never lost the child inside of himself and finds himself stranded in the desert after a plan crash.   In the desert, he happens upon the little prince who is traveling to earth from his d...

ONE FOR THE MURPHYS by Lynda Mullaly Hunt

copyright date: May 2012 primarily marketed for: intermediate readers (5 th grade and up) I sort of expected One for the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly Hunt to be one of those overly sappy books with unrealistic, sickeningly sweet characters.  However, although the storyline might make it sound sappy, the characters are realistic and dynamic.  After a traumatic incident that lands both she and her mother in the hospital, Carley Connors is taken away and placed in foster care with the Murphy family.  The only life Carley has known is one of put-downs, food scraps, and shopping for clothes in Salvation Army drop boxes.  Until she meets the Murphys.  The Murphys are too good to be true: Julia, the mom, happily makes home-cooked meals for her three boys and firefighting, sports-loving husband.  In fact, Julia isn’t even rattled by Carley’s rough around the edges attitude.  At first, Carley despises the Murphys and the way they make he...

THE MISFITS by James Howe

copyright date: 2001 primarily marketed for: grades 4-8 In honor of No Name-Calling Week, the idea for which originated with this book, I thought I would post a review of The Misfits by James Howe.    This book has one of my favorite leads: "So here I am, not a half-hour old as a tie salesman and trying to look like I know what I am doing, which have got to be two of the biggest jokes of all time, when who should walk into Awkworth & Ames Department Store but Skeezie Tookis. " I think I like it because it is such an inviting introduction to Bobby and Skeezie, two of the four friends referred to in the book’s title.   Bobby, Skeezie, Addie, and Joe are seventh graders who decide to create their own political party to run in the student council election.   Their goal is simple: to put an end to name-calling.   Who doesn’t think that is a good idea? The wonderful things about this book aren’t limited to the positive messages about acceptance and k...