Skip to main content

THE EVERAFTER by Amy Huntley



copyright date: 2009
primarily marketed for: 8th grade and up

I am fascinated by books featuring a character who is already dead (The Lovely Bones, The Afterlife, The Sledding Hill, Everlost, Elsewhere, Heaven Looks A Lot Like the Mall to name a few of my favorites).  That’s why I picked up this one. 

The Everafter tells the story of the immediate afterlife of Madison Stanton.  Somehow the author is able to explain her version of being suspended in nothingness so that as a read I could almost feel what Madison felt, or rather what she experienced since she is no longer capable of feeling. 

While floating, existing, in the everafter, Madison encounters objects she lost in life.  The objects appear to her in the form of x-ray-like images (like the orchids on the cover).  By touching these objects, she is transported back to certain moments from her life.  As she visits, she experiments to figure out the rules of her new state of being (which is one of the aspects that fascinate me about stories like this) and what the purpose of these visits could be. 

Ultimately, the book is a satisfying story.  The moments from her life that led up to her tragic and untimely death are interesting, but it is really uncovering the story of her death that kept me reading.  The story is surprising, yet not entirely unrealistic.  It is not until I uncovered this story that the rest of the book fit together and I understood why Madison was left to visit those objects. 

Comments

  1. I've read the others, but still cannot bring myself to read The Lovely Bones. This book sounds interesting, & I actually loved The Sledding HIll and Elsewhere. Each one seems to be so interested in how the afterlife "is" and closure of the life that is gone. It's curious to me how this topic has emerged in these past years. Thanks for telling about a new one, Christy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ONE FOR THE MURPHYS by Lynda Mullaly Hunt

copyright date: May 2012 primarily marketed for: intermediate readers (5 th grade and up) I sort of expected One for the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly Hunt to be one of those overly sappy books with unrealistic, sickeningly sweet characters.  However, although the storyline might make it sound sappy, the characters are realistic and dynamic.  After a traumatic incident that lands both she and her mother in the hospital, Carley Connors is taken away and placed in foster care with the Murphy family.  The only life Carley has known is one of put-downs, food scraps, and shopping for clothes in Salvation Army drop boxes.  Until she meets the Murphys.  The Murphys are too good to be true: Julia, the mom, happily makes home-cooked meals for her three boys and firefighting, sports-loving husband.  In fact, Julia isn’t even rattled by Carley’s rough around the edges attitude.  At first, Carley despises the Murphys and the way they make he...

THE LITTLE PRINCE by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

copyright date: 1943 primarily marketed for: everyone The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint- Exupéry was a reread for me.   I read this book for the first time when I was in high school.   All I remembered about it was that I expected it to be too complex for me to understand, and I was surprised when at its charming simplicity.   I always remember feeling like I had a special place in my heart for The Little Prince , but I didn’t remember exactly why. It was written so long ago and is translated from French that it is no wonder I first expected to find its meaning elusive.   However, I am sure that if you pick up this book, it will nestle itself into a special place in your heart as well. Simply, The Little Prince is the story of a clever man who has never lost the child inside of himself and finds himself stranded in the desert after a plan crash.   In the desert, he happens upon the little prince who is traveling to earth from his d...

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green

You knew it was coming.  How could I not share?  EVERYONE MUST READ JOHN GREEN’S LATEST WORK OF ART: THE FAULT IN OUR STARS .  Throughout my life (well, at least from 4 th grade, when I was introduced to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl until now, the 7 th month of my 34 th year of noticing the universe) the name ‘Augustus’ immediately evoked an image of a chubby, stubborn, chocolate-loving boy, doted upon by his mother, with the last name of Gloop.  The name ‘Augustus’ made me giggle about this character’s gluttonous follies inside the chocolate factory. Until reading John Green’s beloved new book The Fault in Our Stars . From now on, the name ‘Augustus’ will forever evoke an entirely different image and an entirely different set of emotions.  A casually hot, lean, limping ‘Augustus Waters’ has forever replaced the ‘Augustus’ of the book I treasured as a child—an unlit cigarette held loosely between his lips.  A longing sigh ...