Skip to main content

THE ONLY ONES by Aaron Starmer



copyright date: Sept. 2011
primarily marketed for: 5th grade and up

The Only Ones is a post-apocalyptic story where all adults mysteriously vanish from the earth and a small group of kids seem to be left behind. 

Martin Maple, the protagonist, is a young boy who was odd prior to the apocalyptic disappearance of adults from the earth.   His mother had disappeared about the same time he was born and his father, though he cared for Martin, was not very nurturing.  Until the mysterious vanishing of adults, Martin and his father lived a very secluded life on an island.  Martin was discouraged from talking to anyone for fear other people will find out about the machine Mr. Maple was building. 

After the disappearance of the adults, Martin ventures to the mainland and meets up with other kids who were left behind.  The story that ensues is reminiscent of Lord of the Flies by William Golding, including plays for power, manipulation, violence, mental illness, and even murder.  Although this is marketed for 5th grade and up, it is a complex and disturbing story.  The scientific concepts involved in the creation and use of the machine Martin’s father was building, which Martin eventually recreates, demand a high level of interest in and understanding of the relationship between space and time.

This is not my kind of story, but that is not to say it was not a good story.  It is an interesting idea played out by interesting characters.  My favorite character had to be Felix, who builds a post-apocalyptic internet.  Each website is a hollow wooden box, covered in handwritten information, with important documents or objects locked inside.  Links are provided in the form of strings attached to important words/phrases on each block that lead to other blocks.  The Only Ones is filled with thought provoking images like this one that add up to create a unique story, but not necessarily in a world where I would like to be.
 

Comments

  1. It does sound creepy. I like these kinds of stories & imagine that there are 5th graders who read all things sci-fi will too, but I agree that it could be more accessible to older students. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog set up is so colorful and inviting! mpflory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not my story either, but thanks for the review. I blog a lot of first line/paragraphs, hoping to pique the interests of reader. http://thepenandinkblog.blogspot.com/p/links-to-first-line-posts-by-susan.html
    I will probably blog this one,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found you through the comment challenge and just wanted to say that I love the purpose for your blog. What a terrific idea adn I hope you do have students that are reading this and following your recommendations.

    http://margodill.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE LITTLE PRINCE by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

copyright date: 1943 primarily marketed for: everyone The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint- Exupéry was a reread for me.   I read this book for the first time when I was in high school.   All I remembered about it was that I expected it to be too complex for me to understand, and I was surprised when at its charming simplicity.   I always remember feeling like I had a special place in my heart for The Little Prince , but I didn’t remember exactly why. It was written so long ago and is translated from French that it is no wonder I first expected to find its meaning elusive.   However, I am sure that if you pick up this book, it will nestle itself into a special place in your heart as well. Simply, The Little Prince is the story of a clever man who has never lost the child inside of himself and finds himself stranded in the desert after a plan crash.   In the desert, he happens upon the little prince who is traveling to earth from his d...

ONE FOR THE MURPHYS by Lynda Mullaly Hunt

copyright date: May 2012 primarily marketed for: intermediate readers (5 th grade and up) I sort of expected One for the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly Hunt to be one of those overly sappy books with unrealistic, sickeningly sweet characters.  However, although the storyline might make it sound sappy, the characters are realistic and dynamic.  After a traumatic incident that lands both she and her mother in the hospital, Carley Connors is taken away and placed in foster care with the Murphy family.  The only life Carley has known is one of put-downs, food scraps, and shopping for clothes in Salvation Army drop boxes.  Until she meets the Murphys.  The Murphys are too good to be true: Julia, the mom, happily makes home-cooked meals for her three boys and firefighting, sports-loving husband.  In fact, Julia isn’t even rattled by Carley’s rough around the edges attitude.  At first, Carley despises the Murphys and the way they make he...

THE STATISTICAL PROBABILITY OF LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT by Jennifer E. Smith

copyright date: January 2012 primarily marketed for: young adults (12 and up) After reading a few heavy books, I picked up The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith from my shelf of to-be-read books expecting a light, fluffy romance.   I should know better by now.   I wouldn’t have purchased it if it were just a light, fluffy romance.   Of course I was completely sucked in by the premise that everything happens for a reason, even if the reason is not apparent at first.   Hadley is on her way to London for her father’s wedding—the beginning of a marriage to a woman Hadley has never met because why would she want to meet the source of the affair that broke her family apart?   Anyway, she misses her flight because of a series of choices and mishaps.   Now, having changed her path to London, Hadley encounters a guy.   An attractive guy.   A charming guy.   A guy who insists...