Skip to main content

JAKE AND LILY by Jerry Spinelli


copyright date: May 2012
primarily marketed for: intermediate readers (8 and up)

This is another book for younger readers.  So, although the time you spend actually reading Jake and Lily by Jerry Spinelli won’t be long, the time this story spends traveling around in your heart will be immeasurable.

Spinelli is a master at getting straight to the heart of what keeps people from accepting one another: differences.  Through the story of young twins Jake and Lily, he tells a story of tolerance, acceptance, and ultimately friendship. 

Jake and Lily have a very special relationship.  They are able to connect with one another through dreams and across distances.  In fact, as they write their stories for us in alternating chapters, they don’t even need to read to know what they other has written. 

Conflict settles into their lives when growing up threatens to come between them.  As Jake begins to spend more time with a group of boys led by the roughest boy in the neighborhood, his connection with Lily seems to fade. 

Lily is forced to look elsewhere to fill the void left by losing her brother’s friendship.  While Jake is succumbing to the guidance of a bully who leads the boys in a hunt for Goobers, Lily finds guidance in her wise, earthy grandfather, Poppy. 

In true Spinelli-style, both children figure out what it means to be themselves.  It is a story for younger readers, but if contains Spinelli’s poetic voice of wisdom in lines crafted like these:

[Jake]
“He hates me.  Ernest Lindop of Meeker Street hates me.  I’ve never been hated before.  It’s like sunburn on my heart.”

[Lily]
“What do you do while you’re waiting for your life to happen?”

Reading Jake and Lily felt like eating dessert first.  It was a pure treat for my soul.

Reading Threads:

Comments

  1. Terrific-I have heard that Spinelli has a new one-Thanks Christy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great review of this new one by a favorite author. Have you read his short story collection called (I think) The Library Card?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Christy,

    Just thought I'd say hello again and mention another gifted author for older middle-grade kids, Kevin Henkes. He's so well known for his picture books, but I love his novels, too.

    Tasha is busy with school-related preparations and I'm sure you are, too. It's a hectic time of year.

    If you ever would like to have an author visit through Skype, I'm available. I've done it about ten times, and it's a great way to connect with student readers -- if the technology cooperates!

    Take care,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE LITTLE PRINCE by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

copyright date: 1943 primarily marketed for: everyone The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint- Exupéry was a reread for me.   I read this book for the first time when I was in high school.   All I remembered about it was that I expected it to be too complex for me to understand, and I was surprised when at its charming simplicity.   I always remember feeling like I had a special place in my heart for The Little Prince , but I didn’t remember exactly why. It was written so long ago and is translated from French that it is no wonder I first expected to find its meaning elusive.   However, I am sure that if you pick up this book, it will nestle itself into a special place in your heart as well. Simply, The Little Prince is the story of a clever man who has never lost the child inside of himself and finds himself stranded in the desert after a plan crash.   In the desert, he happens upon the little prince who is traveling to earth from his d...

ONE FOR THE MURPHYS by Lynda Mullaly Hunt

copyright date: May 2012 primarily marketed for: intermediate readers (5 th grade and up) I sort of expected One for the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly Hunt to be one of those overly sappy books with unrealistic, sickeningly sweet characters.  However, although the storyline might make it sound sappy, the characters are realistic and dynamic.  After a traumatic incident that lands both she and her mother in the hospital, Carley Connors is taken away and placed in foster care with the Murphy family.  The only life Carley has known is one of put-downs, food scraps, and shopping for clothes in Salvation Army drop boxes.  Until she meets the Murphys.  The Murphys are too good to be true: Julia, the mom, happily makes home-cooked meals for her three boys and firefighting, sports-loving husband.  In fact, Julia isn’t even rattled by Carley’s rough around the edges attitude.  At first, Carley despises the Murphys and the way they make he...

THE STATISTICAL PROBABILITY OF LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT by Jennifer E. Smith

copyright date: January 2012 primarily marketed for: young adults (12 and up) After reading a few heavy books, I picked up The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith from my shelf of to-be-read books expecting a light, fluffy romance.   I should know better by now.   I wouldn’t have purchased it if it were just a light, fluffy romance.   Of course I was completely sucked in by the premise that everything happens for a reason, even if the reason is not apparent at first.   Hadley is on her way to London for her father’s wedding—the beginning of a marriage to a woman Hadley has never met because why would she want to meet the source of the affair that broke her family apart?   Anyway, she misses her flight because of a series of choices and mishaps.   Now, having changed her path to London, Hadley encounters a guy.   An attractive guy.   A charming guy.   A guy who insists...