Skip to main content

UNDER THE MESQUITE by Guadalupe Garcia McCall



copyright date: September 2011
primarily marketed for: young adults (12 and up)

I am a sucker for a novel told in verse.  I am a sucker for anything having to do with Mexican culture.  I am a sucker for a metaphor involving a tree.  I am a sucker for a novel that makes me feel.  So, needless to say, Under the Mesquite by Guadalupe Garcia McCall has found its way into my heart.

The protagonist, Lupita, is the oldest of 8 siblings!  She is used to caring for her brothers and sisters and almost has a friendship with her mother as opposed to a mother-daughter relationship.  But there are still some things her mother doesn’t think Lupita is ready to hear.  When Lupita hears her parents whispering and realizes they are keeping something from her, she demands to know the truth, and finds out that her mother has cancer. 

From that point forward, Lupita’s life will never be the same.  She does all she can to keep her family together while her mother fights a battle for her life. 

Lupita finds her own way of coping with all that is happening to her family—by writing in a journal beneath the mesquite tree behind her house. 

Her words tell the beautiful story of a young girl trying to become who she is in the midst of her mother’s illness, the needs of her 7 siblings, the Mexican and American cultures to which she belongs, and her own developing talents as a writer and actress.

This book begs to be read while resting beneath a tree.

Comments

  1. I have this, but still haven't opened it, Christy. It sounds so poignant & a difficult read. But also sounds beautiful. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE LITTLE PRINCE by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

copyright date: 1943 primarily marketed for: everyone The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint- Exupéry was a reread for me.   I read this book for the first time when I was in high school.   All I remembered about it was that I expected it to be too complex for me to understand, and I was surprised when at its charming simplicity.   I always remember feeling like I had a special place in my heart for The Little Prince , but I didn’t remember exactly why. It was written so long ago and is translated from French that it is no wonder I first expected to find its meaning elusive.   However, I am sure that if you pick up this book, it will nestle itself into a special place in your heart as well. Simply, The Little Prince is the story of a clever man who has never lost the child inside of himself and finds himself stranded in the desert after a plan crash.   In the desert, he happens upon the little prince who is traveling to earth from his d...

ONE FOR THE MURPHYS by Lynda Mullaly Hunt

copyright date: May 2012 primarily marketed for: intermediate readers (5 th grade and up) I sort of expected One for the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly Hunt to be one of those overly sappy books with unrealistic, sickeningly sweet characters.  However, although the storyline might make it sound sappy, the characters are realistic and dynamic.  After a traumatic incident that lands both she and her mother in the hospital, Carley Connors is taken away and placed in foster care with the Murphy family.  The only life Carley has known is one of put-downs, food scraps, and shopping for clothes in Salvation Army drop boxes.  Until she meets the Murphys.  The Murphys are too good to be true: Julia, the mom, happily makes home-cooked meals for her three boys and firefighting, sports-loving husband.  In fact, Julia isn’t even rattled by Carley’s rough around the edges attitude.  At first, Carley despises the Murphys and the way they make he...

THE MISFITS by James Howe

copyright date: 2001 primarily marketed for: grades 4-8 In honor of No Name-Calling Week, the idea for which originated with this book, I thought I would post a review of The Misfits by James Howe.    This book has one of my favorite leads: "So here I am, not a half-hour old as a tie salesman and trying to look like I know what I am doing, which have got to be two of the biggest jokes of all time, when who should walk into Awkworth & Ames Department Store but Skeezie Tookis. " I think I like it because it is such an inviting introduction to Bobby and Skeezie, two of the four friends referred to in the book’s title.   Bobby, Skeezie, Addie, and Joe are seventh graders who decide to create their own political party to run in the student council election.   Their goal is simple: to put an end to name-calling.   Who doesn’t think that is a good idea? The wonderful things about this book aren’t limited to the positive messages about acceptance and k...