Skip to main content

SEE YOU AT HARRY’S by Jo Knowles


copyright date: May 2012
primarily marketed for: middle school (age 10 and up)

Everything you have heard about this book is true. 

It is one of those books that will find its way into your heart and nestle in for a good long while.

See You at Harry’s by Jo Knowles is filled with endearing characters far beyond the protagonist: twelve-year-old Fern.  Fern’s family is made up of a (much) younger brother Charlie, (who only pronounces his /r/ sound when calling Fern’s name), an older brother Holden (who is struggling with his own identity), an older sister Sara (who wears her hair in dreadlocks and torments her siblings as much as she adores them), a mother (who is juggling attending to her husband’s passion for the family business and a house full of children with varying needs), and a father (whose love of his restaurant often comes at the cost of family embarrassment).  The story largely takes place at Harry’s, the family restaurant, which hosts a cast of characters each with their own charm. 

Fern’s story is one of many layers.  She is struggling to find her place in her family, at her new middle/high school, and amongst her best friends.  Fern seems to take care of others quite often.  In fact, that was her mother’s hope for her by naming her Fern after the character in Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White, and Fern is always trying to live up to her name.

The relationships between characters are so well drawn, I almost want Jo Knowles to meet my family and write them into her books so I can know them on paper like I know Fern’s family.  Somehow she makes these characters with real struggles and real emotions likeable, despite their flaws. 

Through the many layers in the story, Knowles addresses many big issues with grace.  Fern faces the issue of bullying head on—even by a grown-up, and yet she is also surrounded by loads of love and support.  This is the first book that tackles the issue of sexual identity without becoming about that or going over the top, while still not shying away.  When the family experiences unthinkable loss, Knowles pulls readers in so we too experience the loss at the same time we want to reach in the book and rescue the family right out of the truth of their story.  Knowles also has a way of suggesting edgy language, without going there.  It is simply brilliantly written. 

See You at Harry’s is the kind of book that makes me want to run right out and find all of Jo Knowles’s other books.  But I just can’t imagine a better book than this one.

Reading Threads:

Comments

  1. It is truly wonderful, I agree. I like this Christy: "Knowles pulls readers in so we too experience the loss at the same time we want to reach in the book and rescue the family right out of the truth of their story." Exactly! Thanks for reminding me how good the writing is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. C-

    Your review is spot on. Just like you said, "I almost want Jo Knowles to meet my family and write them into her books so I can know them on paper like I know Fern’s family." I loved this book SO much that I'm going to have to buy 2 more copies. One to put in the hands of my adult friends, one to put in the hands of my students, and one to keep selfishly for myself so I can re-read it for inspiration. This is a great year for realistic YA fiction! Wonder, See You At Harry's, One for the Murphy's, and Code Name Verity...I'm excited to see what comes next!

    J

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMAZING!!! LOVED!!! I am so glad that you selected it for review. I can't wait to start talking it at school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book! it showed me hoe much I should say I love you more.

    ~A

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE LITTLE PRINCE by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

copyright date: 1943 primarily marketed for: everyone The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint- Exupéry was a reread for me.   I read this book for the first time when I was in high school.   All I remembered about it was that I expected it to be too complex for me to understand, and I was surprised when at its charming simplicity.   I always remember feeling like I had a special place in my heart for The Little Prince , but I didn’t remember exactly why. It was written so long ago and is translated from French that it is no wonder I first expected to find its meaning elusive.   However, I am sure that if you pick up this book, it will nestle itself into a special place in your heart as well. Simply, The Little Prince is the story of a clever man who has never lost the child inside of himself and finds himself stranded in the desert after a plan crash.   In the desert, he happens upon the little prince who is traveling to earth from his d...

ONE FOR THE MURPHYS by Lynda Mullaly Hunt

copyright date: May 2012 primarily marketed for: intermediate readers (5 th grade and up) I sort of expected One for the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly Hunt to be one of those overly sappy books with unrealistic, sickeningly sweet characters.  However, although the storyline might make it sound sappy, the characters are realistic and dynamic.  After a traumatic incident that lands both she and her mother in the hospital, Carley Connors is taken away and placed in foster care with the Murphy family.  The only life Carley has known is one of put-downs, food scraps, and shopping for clothes in Salvation Army drop boxes.  Until she meets the Murphys.  The Murphys are too good to be true: Julia, the mom, happily makes home-cooked meals for her three boys and firefighting, sports-loving husband.  In fact, Julia isn’t even rattled by Carley’s rough around the edges attitude.  At first, Carley despises the Murphys and the way they make he...

THE STATISTICAL PROBABILITY OF LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT by Jennifer E. Smith

copyright date: January 2012 primarily marketed for: young adults (12 and up) After reading a few heavy books, I picked up The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith from my shelf of to-be-read books expecting a light, fluffy romance.   I should know better by now.   I wouldn’t have purchased it if it were just a light, fluffy romance.   Of course I was completely sucked in by the premise that everything happens for a reason, even if the reason is not apparent at first.   Hadley is on her way to London for her father’s wedding—the beginning of a marriage to a woman Hadley has never met because why would she want to meet the source of the affair that broke her family apart?   Anyway, she misses her flight because of a series of choices and mishaps.   Now, having changed her path to London, Hadley encounters a guy.   An attractive guy.   A charming guy.   A guy who insists...