Skip to main content

SHIVER by Maggie Stiefvater


copyright date: August 2009
primarily marketed for: young adults (13 and up)

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater is not new to the world, but it is new to me.  I have had it on my shelf for years and just didn’t get around to reading it until a friend convinced me it was well worth it. 

She is a good friend.  With impeccable taste in literature.

Within the first few pages I was enchanted.  Shiver is not just an enchanting story, but the way it is written is beautiful as well.  Lines like this make me want to stop and marvel at Stievfater’s way of crafting words to trigger the readers’ emotions: “Behind the counter, I slouched on my stool in the sun and sucked in the summer as if I could hold ever drop of it inside me.”

Shiver alternates between the voice of Grace and the voice of Sam throughout the story.  Grace was attacked by wolves as a young girl and saved by a single wolf out of the pack.  Since then she has spent her winters watching for her wolf in the woods behind her house. 

Sam has been watching Grace for years.  Ever since he first met her the winter of the attack. 

Their lives finally meet when a student at Grace’s high school is dragged away by wolves. 

Although it is clear from the blurb on the back of the book that this is a werewolf story, it is so much more than that.  I thought I would never be able to get into a werewolf story.  I thought werewolf stories were so overdone by now.  None of these thoughts apply to Shiver.  It is an original, gracefully told story that I didn’t want to end. 

Luckily, it is not over for me yet.  This is the first book in a trilogy.  The world Stiefvater has created in Shiver is a world I look forward to returning to in Linger and Forever.    

Reading Threads:
Linger and Forever by Maggie Stiefvater
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
I Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa Schroeder
Incarnate by Jodi Meadows

Comments

  1. I'm listening to Linger right now-very good! I loved The Scorpio Races too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE LITTLE PRINCE by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

copyright date: 1943 primarily marketed for: everyone The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint- Exupéry was a reread for me.   I read this book for the first time when I was in high school.   All I remembered about it was that I expected it to be too complex for me to understand, and I was surprised when at its charming simplicity.   I always remember feeling like I had a special place in my heart for The Little Prince , but I didn’t remember exactly why. It was written so long ago and is translated from French that it is no wonder I first expected to find its meaning elusive.   However, I am sure that if you pick up this book, it will nestle itself into a special place in your heart as well. Simply, The Little Prince is the story of a clever man who has never lost the child inside of himself and finds himself stranded in the desert after a plan crash.   In the desert, he happens upon the little prince who is traveling to earth from his d...

ONE FOR THE MURPHYS by Lynda Mullaly Hunt

copyright date: May 2012 primarily marketed for: intermediate readers (5 th grade and up) I sort of expected One for the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly Hunt to be one of those overly sappy books with unrealistic, sickeningly sweet characters.  However, although the storyline might make it sound sappy, the characters are realistic and dynamic.  After a traumatic incident that lands both she and her mother in the hospital, Carley Connors is taken away and placed in foster care with the Murphy family.  The only life Carley has known is one of put-downs, food scraps, and shopping for clothes in Salvation Army drop boxes.  Until she meets the Murphys.  The Murphys are too good to be true: Julia, the mom, happily makes home-cooked meals for her three boys and firefighting, sports-loving husband.  In fact, Julia isn’t even rattled by Carley’s rough around the edges attitude.  At first, Carley despises the Murphys and the way they make he...

THE MISFITS by James Howe

copyright date: 2001 primarily marketed for: grades 4-8 In honor of No Name-Calling Week, the idea for which originated with this book, I thought I would post a review of The Misfits by James Howe.    This book has one of my favorite leads: "So here I am, not a half-hour old as a tie salesman and trying to look like I know what I am doing, which have got to be two of the biggest jokes of all time, when who should walk into Awkworth & Ames Department Store but Skeezie Tookis. " I think I like it because it is such an inviting introduction to Bobby and Skeezie, two of the four friends referred to in the book’s title.   Bobby, Skeezie, Addie, and Joe are seventh graders who decide to create their own political party to run in the student council election.   Their goal is simple: to put an end to name-calling.   Who doesn’t think that is a good idea? The wonderful things about this book aren’t limited to the positive messages about acceptance and k...