Skip to main content

UNWHOLLY by Neal Shusterman



copyright date: August 2012
primarily marketed for: young adults (12 and up)

Although there are still a few days until UnWholly by Neal Shusterman is released on August 28th, I managed to get my hands on an Advanced Readers’ Copy, thanks to Mrs. Foreman (formerly Miss England). 

This book confirms what I have believed for years: Neal Shusterman is brilliant.  Why he isn’t winning awards left and right is beyond me. 

If you haven’t read the first book in this series, Unwind, you have to start there.  The basis of the story is that it takes place in the near future, after the fictional Third World War, which was fought over the issue of abortion.  In an effort to end the fighting and reach an agreement, both sides compromised, banning abortion as we know it, and sanctioning the retroactive abortion (through a process called unwinding) of teenagers whose parents okay it. 

But that doesn’t even begin to scratch the surface of the brilliance and complexity of Shusterman’s stories. 

UnWholly is told through multiple viewpoints, the same way Unwind was.  In this sequel, Shusterman has found a way to include all of the beloved characters from the first book, and even reveals further depth in their personalities and the new roles they’ve taken on.  Each of our favorite characters becomes an important player in the fight against unwinding and helps uncover the grand plan behind it all.

Shusterman manages to deliver a fast-paced plot, filled with twists and turns at the same time as he causes readers to grapple with big issues, such as our own beliefs about life and what makes us human.  It takes skill to craft a story so beautifully that provides a suspenseful action-filled plot AND has a soul. 

Go read.  Now!  You will be blown away. 

Reading Threads:
Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Comments

  1. Unwind definitely should have won awards. I can't wait to read the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, now the list is definitely longer, Christy. I like hearing about those graphic novels a lot, & this final post, about these two by Schusterman, makes them look so good. You've been busy! Hope you have a great start to the year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE LITTLE PRINCE by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

copyright date: 1943 primarily marketed for: everyone The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint- Exupéry was a reread for me.   I read this book for the first time when I was in high school.   All I remembered about it was that I expected it to be too complex for me to understand, and I was surprised when at its charming simplicity.   I always remember feeling like I had a special place in my heart for The Little Prince , but I didn’t remember exactly why. It was written so long ago and is translated from French that it is no wonder I first expected to find its meaning elusive.   However, I am sure that if you pick up this book, it will nestle itself into a special place in your heart as well. Simply, The Little Prince is the story of a clever man who has never lost the child inside of himself and finds himself stranded in the desert after a plan crash.   In the desert, he happens upon the little prince who is traveling to earth from his d...

ONE FOR THE MURPHYS by Lynda Mullaly Hunt

copyright date: May 2012 primarily marketed for: intermediate readers (5 th grade and up) I sort of expected One for the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly Hunt to be one of those overly sappy books with unrealistic, sickeningly sweet characters.  However, although the storyline might make it sound sappy, the characters are realistic and dynamic.  After a traumatic incident that lands both she and her mother in the hospital, Carley Connors is taken away and placed in foster care with the Murphy family.  The only life Carley has known is one of put-downs, food scraps, and shopping for clothes in Salvation Army drop boxes.  Until she meets the Murphys.  The Murphys are too good to be true: Julia, the mom, happily makes home-cooked meals for her three boys and firefighting, sports-loving husband.  In fact, Julia isn’t even rattled by Carley’s rough around the edges attitude.  At first, Carley despises the Murphys and the way they make he...

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green

You knew it was coming.  How could I not share?  EVERYONE MUST READ JOHN GREEN’S LATEST WORK OF ART: THE FAULT IN OUR STARS .  Throughout my life (well, at least from 4 th grade, when I was introduced to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl until now, the 7 th month of my 34 th year of noticing the universe) the name ‘Augustus’ immediately evoked an image of a chubby, stubborn, chocolate-loving boy, doted upon by his mother, with the last name of Gloop.  The name ‘Augustus’ made me giggle about this character’s gluttonous follies inside the chocolate factory. Until reading John Green’s beloved new book The Fault in Our Stars . From now on, the name ‘Augustus’ will forever evoke an entirely different image and an entirely different set of emotions.  A casually hot, lean, limping ‘Augustus Waters’ has forever replaced the ‘Augustus’ of the book I treasured as a child—an unlit cigarette held loosely between his lips.  A longing sigh ...