Skip to main content

SPEEDING BULLET by Neal Shusterman


copyright date: 1991
primarily marketed for: young adults (7th grade up)

In preparation for our author re-visit, I tried to read every Neal Shusterman book that has been sitting in my pile of books to read.  Every time I read his work I am blown away.

Speeding Bullet is typical of Shusterman’s work in the sense that there is a supernatural element in the story, but it is so realistically told that as a reader, I completely suspend my disbelief.   

Nick Herrera is an average teenager with below average intelligence.  He is constantly told by teachers he sees as completely unreliable that if he simply believed in himself more, he would achieve greater success in school.  It is not until a chance encounter with fate at a New York subway stop that Nick’s self-image begins to change. 

After saving a young girl’s life and defying death himself in the face of a speeding train, Nick notices that luck is consistently on his side all of a sudden.  He feels drawn to continue to find situations in which to rescue others, and despite pleas from his parents and his new girlfriend (daughter of the richest builder in New York City), Nick continues to tempt fate by risking his life to save them. 

As he racks up an increasingly large number of rescues, the media can’t help but notice.  His newfound fame finally becomes too great a burden when he is asked to help prevent a suicide.  Rumors about the extent of his powers circulate and threaten to undo him altogether.

This is a riveting story, filled with the thoughtful and thought-provoking writing I have come to expect from Shusterman.  The ending is just open-ended enough to leave the story lingering in my mind for weeks to come. 

Comments

  1. What a predicament to be in. To finally feel like you "mean" something only to be placed in a situation that might bring more harm to you than good. Very intriguing!

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE LITTLE PRINCE by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

copyright date: 1943 primarily marketed for: everyone The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint- Exupéry was a reread for me.   I read this book for the first time when I was in high school.   All I remembered about it was that I expected it to be too complex for me to understand, and I was surprised when at its charming simplicity.   I always remember feeling like I had a special place in my heart for The Little Prince , but I didn’t remember exactly why. It was written so long ago and is translated from French that it is no wonder I first expected to find its meaning elusive.   However, I am sure that if you pick up this book, it will nestle itself into a special place in your heart as well. Simply, The Little Prince is the story of a clever man who has never lost the child inside of himself and finds himself stranded in the desert after a plan crash.   In the desert, he happens upon the little prince who is traveling to earth from his d...

ONE FOR THE MURPHYS by Lynda Mullaly Hunt

copyright date: May 2012 primarily marketed for: intermediate readers (5 th grade and up) I sort of expected One for the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly Hunt to be one of those overly sappy books with unrealistic, sickeningly sweet characters.  However, although the storyline might make it sound sappy, the characters are realistic and dynamic.  After a traumatic incident that lands both she and her mother in the hospital, Carley Connors is taken away and placed in foster care with the Murphy family.  The only life Carley has known is one of put-downs, food scraps, and shopping for clothes in Salvation Army drop boxes.  Until she meets the Murphys.  The Murphys are too good to be true: Julia, the mom, happily makes home-cooked meals for her three boys and firefighting, sports-loving husband.  In fact, Julia isn’t even rattled by Carley’s rough around the edges attitude.  At first, Carley despises the Murphys and the way they make he...

THE STATISTICAL PROBABILITY OF LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT by Jennifer E. Smith

copyright date: January 2012 primarily marketed for: young adults (12 and up) After reading a few heavy books, I picked up The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith from my shelf of to-be-read books expecting a light, fluffy romance.   I should know better by now.   I wouldn’t have purchased it if it were just a light, fluffy romance.   Of course I was completely sucked in by the premise that everything happens for a reason, even if the reason is not apparent at first.   Hadley is on her way to London for her father’s wedding—the beginning of a marriage to a woman Hadley has never met because why would she want to meet the source of the affair that broke her family apart?   Anyway, she misses her flight because of a series of choices and mishaps.   Now, having changed her path to London, Hadley encounters a guy.   An attractive guy.   A charming guy.   A guy who insists...