Skip to main content

THE LURE by Lynne Ewing


copyright date: February 2014
primarily marketed for: young adults (high school)

I have been a fan of Lynne Ewing’s Drive By for years.  It is a short, easy to read story about a boy whose older brother is gunned down in a drive by while they are walking home together.  At first, it seems to be a case of an innocent child in the wrong place at the wrong time.  That is, until the younger brother is approached about taking his older brother’s place in a gang.   It is a story filled with action and tough choices. 

So, when I saw that Lynne Ewing’s new book The Lure, I immediately knew it would be one I would want to share. 

Ewing gives us a hard core look at life in the inner city.  The Lure is the story of Blaise, a self-reliant teenage girl, living with her grandmother.  She has a rough history and often eats ketchup packets and sugar packets as meals to leave enough money for her grandmother to eat. 

Blaise sees joining Core 9 as an opportunity to earn money and take care of her grandmother.  Although she is streetwise and tough, there is no way for her to anticipate how each step she makes toward getting involved in the gang will lead to deeper problems.   Before long, Blaise finds herself and those she loves surrounded by danger. 

Blaise has no easy choices, making the book almost too realistic at times.  The dynamic between Blaise, the other girls in the gang, her guy friends, and the guys who run the gang is realistically drawn.  It is the realism that makes this story so tense.  I had a knot in my stomach for her all the way to the last page.  Ewing’s writing is so vivid it has been tough to shake long after having put the book down. 

The Lure is the kind of book I think everyone should experience vicariously to avoid making similar choices in their own lives.

Comments

  1. Hi Christy
    Thank you for this wonderful review of my book.
    Love and best wishes,
    Lynne ewing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ONE FOR THE MURPHYS by Lynda Mullaly Hunt

copyright date: May 2012 primarily marketed for: intermediate readers (5 th grade and up) I sort of expected One for the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly Hunt to be one of those overly sappy books with unrealistic, sickeningly sweet characters.  However, although the storyline might make it sound sappy, the characters are realistic and dynamic.  After a traumatic incident that lands both she and her mother in the hospital, Carley Connors is taken away and placed in foster care with the Murphy family.  The only life Carley has known is one of put-downs, food scraps, and shopping for clothes in Salvation Army drop boxes.  Until she meets the Murphys.  The Murphys are too good to be true: Julia, the mom, happily makes home-cooked meals for her three boys and firefighting, sports-loving husband.  In fact, Julia isn’t even rattled by Carley’s rough around the edges attitude.  At first, Carley despises the Murphys and the way they make he...

THE LITTLE PRINCE by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

copyright date: 1943 primarily marketed for: everyone The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint- Exupéry was a reread for me.   I read this book for the first time when I was in high school.   All I remembered about it was that I expected it to be too complex for me to understand, and I was surprised when at its charming simplicity.   I always remember feeling like I had a special place in my heart for The Little Prince , but I didn’t remember exactly why. It was written so long ago and is translated from French that it is no wonder I first expected to find its meaning elusive.   However, I am sure that if you pick up this book, it will nestle itself into a special place in your heart as well. Simply, The Little Prince is the story of a clever man who has never lost the child inside of himself and finds himself stranded in the desert after a plan crash.   In the desert, he happens upon the little prince who is traveling to earth from his d...

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green

You knew it was coming.  How could I not share?  EVERYONE MUST READ JOHN GREEN’S LATEST WORK OF ART: THE FAULT IN OUR STARS .  Throughout my life (well, at least from 4 th grade, when I was introduced to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl until now, the 7 th month of my 34 th year of noticing the universe) the name ‘Augustus’ immediately evoked an image of a chubby, stubborn, chocolate-loving boy, doted upon by his mother, with the last name of Gloop.  The name ‘Augustus’ made me giggle about this character’s gluttonous follies inside the chocolate factory. Until reading John Green’s beloved new book The Fault in Our Stars . From now on, the name ‘Augustus’ will forever evoke an entirely different image and an entirely different set of emotions.  A casually hot, lean, limping ‘Augustus Waters’ has forever replaced the ‘Augustus’ of the book I treasured as a child—an unlit cigarette held loosely between his lips.  A longing sigh ...