Skip to main content

BEAST OF CRETACEA by Todd Strasser


copyright date: October 2015
primarily marketed for: young adults (6th grade and up)


The Beast of Cretacea by Todd Strasser is just the book the world needed.  Strasser’s futuristic retelling of Herman Melville’s classic, Moby Dick, is a dystopian adventure story that is filled with heart. 

The story opens with protagonist, Ishmael, waking up on a ship on Cretacea after being transported from Earth, which is covered by the Shroud and becoming a less and less viable home for humans.  Ishmael hopes to earn enough money hunting sea creatures called terrafins to pay the way for his foster parents and brother to join him. 

Readers get details about Ishmael’s past in chapters that flashback to his life on Earth.  These chapters develop Ishmael’s relationship with his foster family and solidify our understanding of his motivation to be successful aboard the ship. 

However, there is much more to Ishmael than his past.  He forms strong bonds with his fellow new arrivals, each having a compelling story of his/her own, and we immediately care about the fate of each and every one of Ishmael’s companions. 

When the ship’s captain—Captain Ahab—refuses to allow his crew to spend time hunting easy prey in favor of tracking and capturing an enormous white terrafin to which he previously suffered a great loss, Ishmael has to make decisions for himself, his companions, and his far away family. 

My love of this book—its unique setting, its adventurous men vs sea creature plot, and its man vs nature conflict—came as a total surprise to me.  I tend to favor realistic fiction over science fiction, classics, and dystopian literature.  The heart of the characters Strasser has created and artfully developed in Beast of Cretacea, and his thoughtful, provocative theme (call to action, perhaps?) won me over completely. 

Get your hands on this book—now. 



Comments

  1. The mystical way you describe the ocean reminds me of your book talk on 'Greyson'. The ocean gives me anxiety in the best way. There's a fear in it's vast depths and power, but you can't help but stand in awe of it. I cannot wait to get my hands on this book!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE LITTLE PRINCE by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

copyright date: 1943 primarily marketed for: everyone The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint- Exupéry was a reread for me.   I read this book for the first time when I was in high school.   All I remembered about it was that I expected it to be too complex for me to understand, and I was surprised when at its charming simplicity.   I always remember feeling like I had a special place in my heart for The Little Prince , but I didn’t remember exactly why. It was written so long ago and is translated from French that it is no wonder I first expected to find its meaning elusive.   However, I am sure that if you pick up this book, it will nestle itself into a special place in your heart as well. Simply, The Little Prince is the story of a clever man who has never lost the child inside of himself and finds himself stranded in the desert after a plan crash.   In the desert, he happens upon the little prince who is traveling to earth from his d...

ONE FOR THE MURPHYS by Lynda Mullaly Hunt

copyright date: May 2012 primarily marketed for: intermediate readers (5 th grade and up) I sort of expected One for the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly Hunt to be one of those overly sappy books with unrealistic, sickeningly sweet characters.  However, although the storyline might make it sound sappy, the characters are realistic and dynamic.  After a traumatic incident that lands both she and her mother in the hospital, Carley Connors is taken away and placed in foster care with the Murphy family.  The only life Carley has known is one of put-downs, food scraps, and shopping for clothes in Salvation Army drop boxes.  Until she meets the Murphys.  The Murphys are too good to be true: Julia, the mom, happily makes home-cooked meals for her three boys and firefighting, sports-loving husband.  In fact, Julia isn’t even rattled by Carley’s rough around the edges attitude.  At first, Carley despises the Murphys and the way they make he...

THE STATISTICAL PROBABILITY OF LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT by Jennifer E. Smith

copyright date: January 2012 primarily marketed for: young adults (12 and up) After reading a few heavy books, I picked up The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith from my shelf of to-be-read books expecting a light, fluffy romance.   I should know better by now.   I wouldn’t have purchased it if it were just a light, fluffy romance.   Of course I was completely sucked in by the premise that everything happens for a reason, even if the reason is not apparent at first.   Hadley is on her way to London for her father’s wedding—the beginning of a marriage to a woman Hadley has never met because why would she want to meet the source of the affair that broke her family apart?   Anyway, she misses her flight because of a series of choices and mishaps.   Now, having changed her path to London, Hadley encounters a guy.   An attractive guy.   A charming guy.   A guy who insists...